HSE Schemes: GP Visit Cards
A GP Visit Cards allows individuals and families in Ireland to visit their family doctor for free. Only the cost of visits to your family doctor is free; you must pay for prescribed drugs, medicines and other health services similar to others who don't have a Medical Card. If you have a GP Visit Card you should also apply for a Drugs Payment Scheme Card if you don't already have one.
Am I entitled to a GP Visit Card?
- The same application form is used for both the Medical Card and the GP Visit Card. This means that you don't have to worry about which type of card might best suit you - HSE will check your eligibility for both cards.
- The income guidelines for GP Visit Cards are higher than the Medical Card and the allowances for rent, mortgage and childcare bring many people's income within the guidelines.
- You will get a GP Visit Card if the combined means of you and your spouse/partner is below HSE income guidelines.
- Your means includes any income, property (but not your own home), investments and savings.
- Your eligibility for a Medical Card is assessed first.
- If unsuccessful you are automatically assessed for a GP Visit Card.
- When HSE make an assessment for a GP Visit Card, they only assess your income after Tax and PRSI are deducted.
- We also make allowance for rent and mortgage payments, for childcare expenses, and travel to work expenses.
- If your assessed means are still more than the GP Visit Card guidelines you may still qualify for a GP Visit Card on the grounds that your medical costs causes you undue financial hardship.
- Such an example would be if you had an ongoing medical condition that required exceptional and regular medical treatment, or visits to the doctor or hospital.
- If the cost of this would cause you undue financial hardship, then a card may be granted on these grounds.
- Other exceptional circumstances are always considered where a person or family has personal or social issues causing undue financial hardship.
- The card may be granted for the whole family, or for individual members of a family on the grounds of undue financial hardship.
- Your entitlement to a GP Visit Card is reviewed periodically, and this is because your circumstances may change.
- Failure to return your review form will mean your GP Visit Card may not be re-issued.
When Can I Apply?
You can apply for a GP Visit Card at any time; you don't need to wait until a medical need arises.
How do I Apply?
The same application form is used for both the Medical Card and the GP Visit Card. This means that you don't have to worry about which type of card might best suit you - HSE will check your eligibility for both cards.
Forms are available here >>
and return to:
GP Visit Card - Under 6s
PO Box 12629
If you have any queries locall 1890 252 919