Health Advice: Smoking Cessation
Smoking affects you in more ways than you would imagine; it raises blood pressure and pulse rate, can cause cancers of the mouth and lungs, and contributes to heart disease and stroke. It can also cause bad breath, poor skin, yellow teeth, and it is expensive. Quitting smoking may be the single most positive thing you do to improve your health, and there is no age barrier to starting.
With our help, “You 2 Can Quit”
Anyone who stops smoking can enjoy the following health and lifestyle benefits:
- Look and feel better
- Have fresher breath and cleaner teeth, hair, skin and fingers
- Have more control of your life
- Be fitter and have more energy
- Reduce your risk of illness
- Reduce the complications of existing illnesses
- Have a better quality of life
- Be a good role model for your children or grandchildren
- Have more money
- Have a healthier family as they will not be exposed to your second-hand smoke
Incredible as it may seem, you should begin to see and feel the health benefits of quitting within a very short time and the longer you stay off tobacco, the better your long-term health prospects become. Eventually, your health prospects may be the same as those of someone who has never smoked.
Becoming a non-smoker brings great benefits and quickly too!
- 20 minutes - Your pulse rate and blood pressure are back to the same as those of a non-smoker.
- 8 hours - Carbon monoxide and nicotine levels in your blood are down by half, and your blood oxygen level has returned to normal.
- 24 hours - Carbon monoxide is gone from your blood, and your lungs start to clear themselves of accumulated smoking debris and mucus.
- 48 hours - You are nicotine-free, able to taste your food better and your sense of smell is improving.
- 72 hours - Breathing is easier as your bronchial tubes begin to relax, and your energy levels are beginning to increase.
- 1 week - You are able to sleep much better.
- 2-12 weeks - Your circulation has improved, which makes your skin look better.
- 3-9 months - Your lung function has increased by up to 10%, and any smoker’s cough or breathing problems will have improved.
- 5 years - Your risk of stroke has dropped to about half that of a smoker.
- 10 years - Your risk of lung cancer has dropped to about half that of a smoker and your risk of heart attack is the same as someone who doesn’t smoke.
So how can you start?
Most people who are thinking about quitting smoking will visit their local pharmacy as their first step in quitting smoking. We in Feely's totalhealth Pharmacy have a specially designed Smoking Cessation programme that our Smoking Cessation Advisors follow. We understand that this is a very difficult process and time for a person and our programme is there to support them every step of the way. We encourage our customers who want to embark on the journey of quitting smoking to call into our pharmacy, and talk to our Smoking Cessation Advisor and get started. We use a combination of an initial consultation, agreeing a date, a Pre-Quit consultation, and first week support followed by follow up consultations to access your progress. We also encourage the customer to engage with all the support services that are available such as:
Feely's totalhealth Pharmacists Advice
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
- NRT increases your chances of quitting by up to 70%.
- Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) works by releasing nicotine into your bloodstream at much lower levels than in a cigarette, without the tar, carbon monoxide and other poisonous chemicals present in tobacco smoke.
- This helps to relieve the cravings for a cigarette.
- NRT comes in various forms, such as patches, gums, lozenges, inhalers and sprays.
- The most effective form is the one that works for you.
- Our Smoking Cessation Advisor will help you find the correct form for you.
- Most courses of NRT last 8 – 12 weeks before you gradually reduce the dose and eventually stop.